Wednesday 29 June 2011

The Lovebirds in a Rabbit Cage


These are the four African Lovebirds that I bought from a pet shop along Magsaysay Avenue here in Baguio City, Philippines. When I first saw them, they were in two separate cages, two birds inside a cage. The sales lady told me that the two birds in the first cage are males while the other two in the next cage are females. One of the females is a Lutino with yellow feathers and that it costs more than the others. She said that I could get one male from the first cage and get another female from the other cage and pair them together. Being a newbie, I really could not tell the age of the birds and the saleslady said she doesn't know it either. Since I could not really make up my mind which ones to pick to make a pair, so I bought the whole lot instead. They all looked so beautiful anyway. I thought that it might be better if I bought the whole four of them so they can get to choose their own partner. I paid 400.00 pesos for each bird except for the Lutino which costs me 450.00 pesos. The saleslady would not budge with the price no matter how hard I tried to haggle with her but she was very helpful. I paid a total of 1,650.00 pesos for the four lovebirds. I also bought a piece of cuttle bone, a bag of sunflower seeds and a bag of small grains. She said that they prefer eating the sunflower seeds over the grains. So I brought the birds home together with their feed supply for a week. 

I didn't buy a bird cage from the pet shop because I didn't like what they were selling, they were too small I think. I planned on using a rabbit cage instead to house the birds when I got home.   I had four newly constructed all-wire rabbit cages inside the rabbitry at that time that has not been used yet. Initially, my intention in going to the pet shop was to buy some rabbits. I was getting impatient with waiting for the rabbits that I ordered from a neighbor but they were not weaned from their mother yet. So anyway, instead of coming home with some rabbits, I came home with these lovely bird. The size of the rabbit cage is 2.5 feet wide by 3 feet long by 18 inches high. It is recommended that the bird's cage should be at least 3 feet long and the width should be at least 2 feet while the height should be at least two feet. Well I had to make do with what I have which is actually much better than what they were selling at the pet shop. This cage is to be their home until such time that we could build them a house of their own.


No comments:

Post a Comment